Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Introduction, and why call your blog that?

Hey, my name is Wayne and you may know me from my other blog, Semper Initiativus Unum.

I'm starting this blog because I am running fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons and I want to have a blog dedicated to that. While I still enjoy and play classic D&D, I don't want to swamp that blog with 5e material. It's got its own thing going and I am happy to have a second blog.

As far as this blog, it's called "Clockwork Goldfish" because I couldn't think of a name that I really loved, so I looked on the Trinkets table in the basic rules and found this:
48. A glass orb filled with water, in which swims a clockwork goldfish.
I like it because it's such a weird and distinctive name, and sticks out from other generic fantasy websites. Sure, you can have dozens of different blogs, but this one's a clockwork goldfish. Philosophically, it's derived from a random table, which is a Big Deal in my general approach to RPGs. I love random charts; it was the Trinkets table that convinced me that 5e was on to something after all.

As of this introduction, I'm running Princes of the Apocalypse. A lot of the content is going to focus on that; additionally I'll be doing session notes here. I'll also have some stuff about my thoughts on 5e, my philosophy toward running it – which is different from my very austere philosophy on running OD&D that I've spent years talking about on Semper Initiativus Unum – and some bonus fun content like tables or maybe some rules crunch material that I come up with for 5e, likely to be monsters but possibly some other things as well.

Thanks for reading this and I hope you find something worth your while on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment